It is essential for a report to satisfy all the needs and requirements that it was created for. Poor designs in reports will impact not only the user satisfaction but also the overall performance of the organization. Workday Advanced Reporting Training not only provides an in-depth understanding of the ways and means of report creation and customization but also guides the trainees in effectively utilizing all the tools, techniques, and technology in Workday to create high performance-oriented reports.
Importance of Workday Advanced Reporting Training:
If the reports are not user friendly with respect to execution time, utility, customization, adoption, flexibility, and agility, then the whole purpose of constructing reports serves no use. Integration processing windows, overall tenant health, worklet timeouts are some of the major system requirements which are to be kept in check while monitoring the performance of reports.
Report performance logs can be used to track slow loading reports and troubleshoot the ways in which they are to be executed so that tools can be used to enhance the speed and functionality of reports. It can be done by choosing the reports which are to be logged, attaching suitable names to track the logs, selection of date and time and running the reports that need to be logged. The performance log of the reports can be viewed and tracked.
The field performance metrics of the reports indicate the performance of reports. There are various factors contributing to the measurement of such performance based indicators, some of which are as follows:
- Field: It refers to the name of the field in the report, data filter, data source or data source filter as specified. The field has to be entered correctly as it helps in basic navigation and essential functioning of the report.
- Parent Field: For the child calculated field, suitable parent field is to be set keeping in mind that all child fields below the second level roll up to the second-level child field. The parent field is that field which references itself in some cases or references some other filed. Report nesting creates parent fields in some composite reports. For reports using indexed data sources, it is essential to check the optimized for performance box.
Factors contributing to Workday Advanced Reporting Training performance:
- Reporting Framework and infrastructure: For a high report performance, it is essential to track the significant investments made by Workday for the same. To deliver a better performance, indexed artifacts (fields and data sources), hybrid indexing, parallelization methods for processing filters, data source reads, sorting, and security evaluations are already some of the features implemented by Workday to keep track of performance. Workday also provides the ability to define and index a custom, logical data model via the custom data source feature.
- Report Design: There are five points to be noted and implemented when it comes to the creation of a picture-perfect design for your report. First is the selection of the right data source. From the categories of indexed, filtered and focused categories of data sources, the right source is to be chosen for the report. The second important measure to be taken is the utilization of the right filters and sorts for building the structure of the report. Right kind of report fields are to be selected with the application of different runtime processing techniques. Security checks and evaluation are to be made for the same. The final step is to leverage report logs by gathering performance timings to create a breakdown of time spent in the creation of report.
- Investing in a thoughtful report design: A lot of research is to be undertaken to think about the right design for your report consisting of information such as the users who are targeted through the generation of those reports, how often the reports are scheduled to be run, updated data in the report, the purpose of constructing the report, and the decision is to be made whether further manipulation is to be done after generation of such reports. The reports may be constructed for various user frequencies like recurring reports, one-time reports, infrequently run reports, point-in-time reports, advanced reports with heavy pivot data, and the like. Suitable design is to be incorporated after making all the considerations with respect to the purpose, usage and functionality of the reports.
- Repeated Adoption and Upgradation of Report Features: Workday keeps updating its features twice a year and it is important to rebuild, customize and redesign the existing custom reports based on these features at least once a year. Processes that can be undertaken to ensure the same is reviewing the data source, setting up a routine task to check for retired data sources and fields and rebuilding reports, creating custom audit reports to track outdated analytics content, reviewing report design and run optimization, using the system health dashboard to identify tenant’s processing resource usage and security review.
Data is rapidly expanding in organizations everywhere, big and small. Naturally, Reports and analytics are also rapidly developing at the same pace. Like keeping a machine well-oiled and running smoothly, report maintenance requires intention attention and timely running of updates. Between Workday’s infrastructure investments, applying these best practice design principles, adopting new performance features as they come out, and continuous sharpening of your existing reports, you should have all of the tools you need to make every report a high performing one!
Reputed organizations like ERP Cloud Training offer a chance to learn all these features of organizing reports in an exceptional manner and acquire the A-Z ability to customize, create, and design unique reports as required to be mastered by Workday Consultants today.